What started out as a diplomatic incident between Epic Games and Apple is slowly turning into a real one open warfare, between declarations and arrows. Last week, the parent company of iOS has removed Fortnite from its App Store following the developer violation of the rules on microtransactions. Epic responded with a very direct protest video, announcing the start of the "battle against monopoly" and suing Apple for the unjust cancellation of the popular battle royale. From that moment on it was a continuous question and answer, which he also joined Google, until the ultimatum a few days ago.
In response to the indictment, Apple told Epic Games that on August 28, all development accounts assigned to the company would be canceled, preventing them from continuing work on iOS and also on Mac. A big blow to which the developer responded by requesting a temporary restraining order to prevent the opponent from carrying out this process. Today came the response from Apple, which it openly stated in a statement to be available to withdraw everything if Epic Games "fixes its disaster". Here is an excerpt:
"The agreements between Epic Games and Apple explicitly point out that if an app developer violates the App Store regulation or the licenses for development tools - both of which are applied equally on all development projects, large and small - Apple he would stop working with that company. Developers working to fool Apple, as Epic attempted to do in this case, will be terminated. "
Furthermore, in the same document, the American multinational considers the temporary restraining order "nonsensical", arguing that such an instrument "exists to remedy irreparable damage, not self-inflicted and easy to fix injuries". It is also promised that Fortnite will be available again on the iOS App Store if Epic Games accepts this opportunity to back down and withdraw the update that triggered the drama. All this without resorting to lawyers or courts.
According to what was declared by the latter, Epic Games would try to reach a "special deal" with Apple to allow Fortnite to bypass microtransaction rules and allow direct payments to the developer. Sweeney then replied to this statement by specifying that his request also extends to all other developers, also attaching a screenshot of the email that you can find below. The man he accuses Schiller of "misinforming" the public and trying to shed a bad light on Epic Games.
Apple's statement is misleading. You can read my email in Apple's filing, which is publicly available. I specifically said in Epic's request to the Apple execs, "We hope that Apple will also make these options equally available to all iOS developers…" https://t.co/yRio08fPSy pic.twitter.com/HsqjApFQeo
- Tim Sweeney (@TimSweeneyEpic) August 21
In short, the conflict continues to be heated. Some brands like Spotify have already begun to take sides, some in support of Epic's war on the monopoly and others alongside Apple to denounce what is, after all, a violation of the agreements. It is not clear what the outcomes of this diplomatic and legal battle may be, but one thing is certain: if a meeting point is not reached, one of these two giants will suffer major consequences. Maybe even in the long run.